Friday, May 19, 2006

High Score - Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Riserva


American’s love to have their information quantified, streamlined and rated. Is it laziness? A lack of time? Or something else all together. I’m not sure, but clearly we love to have “experts” tell us what is best for America. Annually we track the Fortune 500, the 50 most beautiful people, top10 plays of the year and the list goes on. But our lists don’t stop there, constantly we have our information spoon-feed. Apparently we don’t want to figure things out on our own. My favorite is Yahoo!’s headlines; as long as you follow Yahoo!’s headlines you can engage in any cocktail conversation.

Wine too has its rating system, the Wine Spectator scores being the most popular. Scores do have value. However scores lose their affect when people become slaves to the score. All too often I hear people asking for wine with a score over 90 but nothing else. Wine is so much more than just a score, like life it is meant to be enjoyed. Remember, we all have our own opinions of enjoyment.

For example, Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Riserva is a great wine. In 2002 the wine was described as having pretty aromas of licorice, berry and lightly toasted oak. Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Riserva is full-bodied, with layers of fruit and silky tannins, followed by a Long finish. It was given a score of 90 by Wine Spectator.

However, when I drink Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Riserva, I taste much more. One sip and I remember the aromas of Florence, Italy on a warm May afternoon. The taste transports me back to the Palazzo Frescobaldi. As the flavors lingers, my memory strolls back toward the Ponte Vecchio. In my mind's eye, I cross over the bridge, pushing through the crowds that have gathered to take in the sparkle from the diamonds and gold. I make my way up the road until I reach the Piazza Della Repubblica. I find a seat at the base of the monument in the middle of the plaza. As the sun begins to set, a Tuscan band begins to play. Taken by the music, a couple begins to dance, I smile, what a beautiful glass of wine.

Wine is more than a beverage, great wine can transcend a meal, a moment or even a romantic day. With something so beautiful how can it be quantified by numbers alone. Be adventuresome, be willing to try something new, with wine you never know what favors might arise from the next glass.

No comments: