Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Sweet Sound - Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon



When I first started experimenting with wine, the world was a much simpler place and it seemed we had more time for simpler pleasures. Thinking back on those carefree times always brings a warm smile to my face. One activity that I dearly miss is grabbing a bottle wine (Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, a personal favorite of the era) and making my way over to the sound garden.

There on cool summer nights, a steady breeze could awaken a concert of sound, that coupled with a fine wine would intoxicate the senses. Alone or with friends the power in that moment would transcend the present, creating a trance like state were in my mind I could explore the beautiful possibilities of tomorrow. It was and still is in my memory a place of peaceful harmony.

However, thanks to Homeland Security, the Patriot Act and other post 911 changes the sound garden has been closed to the public. Though I was disappointed, at the time I understood because the sound garden resides on land owned by NOAA, a government organization. And as we all know after 911 all government facilities needed to be secured.

Now that times has passed questions have grown in my heads as to why NOAA needed to be protected from terrorist. Perhaps, if those evil doers did stumbled upon the sound garden they too would be soothed by its charms. Sadly though I’ve come to the conclusion that the current administration didn’t care about a terrorist treat, it was me they didn’t want accessing NOAA land. Though people thought I was crazy current events support my thinking. It makes me wonder what other “crazy people” might actually know.

For now, I’ll revisit simpler times, enjoying a bottle of Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, and think positively about the future.

No comments: