Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hello 2011 - Have a Drink on Me

On the eve of New Year's eve I find myself deep in thought. Part of me wants to scream, part of me wants to cry and all of me wants to drink; I'm just not sure what is motivating that craving.

I'd like to think my craving to drink is simply excitement for a newly popular Portuguese wine in my possession. I few month back I happened on a couple of bottles of wine that at the time seemed like a nice value selection. Little did I know, a few month later that wine would be one of Wine Spectator's top Ten wines of 2010. Had I known the wine's future pedigree I likely would have enjoyed the juice long ago. In truth, I would have purchased a few more bottles of the wine with the intention of selling this (now) hard to find vintage. And their in lies the problem...

As 2010 comes to a close I reflect on another year fraught by harsh economic times, the worst environmental disaster in know history and a country still at war. Please reflect on that moment yourself, so perhaps you can help me understand what have we learned?

With the a new year fast approaching it seems the biggest concerns facing the world is what outfit to wear, where is the "best" spot to be seen on New Years and what is Brett Favre up to now. I can't help be think we are all missing something. Something that is great, something important, something that is in all of us but we are scared to find out what it is. Instead, we remain in the now, ignoring that curiosity for something better in an effort to stay focused on chasing what we know, a buck. As the saying goes, "money makes the world go round."

My written ramblings brings me full circle to my current craving to drink. Tomorrow, I'll enjoy a fine wine with friends and strangers. We'll enjoy, enjoyment together. A feeling that is the perfect way to end one year and a blessing to start a new year. Top wine or not, best place or not and what I'll be wearing or not won't matter. If only for a moment we'll connect to the fact that what we have in enough and what that is, is each-other. Cheers to having "enough" in 2011, first drink is on me.

No comments: